Elektra and Radio Records

Following the suicide of Pete Ham, the remaining members of Badfinger went their separate ways. Mike Gibbins returned to Wales and backed various performers including playing drums on Bonnie Tyler’s “It’s A Heartache”. Tommy Evans would join The Dodgers with Bob Jackson. They recorded and released three singles for Island Records and an album (without Evans) for Polydor Records. Joey Molland formed a new band, Natural Gas, with Mark Clarke (Colosseum, Uriah Heep) and Jerry Shirley (Humble Pie) and relocate to America. Natural Gas toured with Yes and Peter Frampton on the Frampton Comes Alive tour; releasing a self-titled album on Private Stock Records in 1976.

By 1977, Molland and Evans were out of the music business. Molland was installing carpeting in Los Angeles and Evans was insulating pipes in London. Two Chicago musicians, guitarist Joe Tansin and drummer Kenny Hark, tracked Molland down and suggested forming a band. Needing a bassist, Molland suggested bringing Evans over from the U.K. Although not intended as a Badfinger reunion, after some urging, Molland and Evans agreed to call themselves Badfinger. Signed to Elektra Records, they entered the studios with Nicky Hopkins on piano and producer David Malloy. Early into the sessions, drummer Hark was let go. Molland and Evans asked Mike Gibbins to come to California as his replacement. Gibbins immediately bumped heads with producer Malloy and left after only a couple of days. Session drummer Andy Newmark, who had recorded and toured with George Harrison and would later work with John Lennon on Double Fantasy, was brought in to finish the album. Immediately after the album was completed, Tansin would leave the group. The album, Airwaves, would be released in March of 1979. Molland and Evans would add keyboardist Tony Kaye (Yes, Detective) and drummer Peter ‘Clarkie’ Clarke (Steelers Wheel), then toured the U.S. in support of Airwaves. Clarke would leave the band not long after the tour.

For the follow up to Airwaves, Badfinger signed with a new label based out of Florida, Radio Records. They added Richard Bryans on drums and Glenn Sherba on guitar and recorded the album, Say No More, in Miami with Jack Richardson (Guess Who) producing. The final Badfinger album would be released in January of 1981 with a gorgeous cover by artist Peter Max. By the end of the year, Joey Molland and Tommy Evans had parted ways and would tour in separate Badfinger bands over the next couple of years. On November 19 1983, Tommy Evans, like Pete Ham had before him, took his own life by hanging. Joey Molland and Mike Gibbins would do a Badfinger tour in 1984 and would form a new touring Badfinger band in 1986. Gibbins retired from touring in 1990. On October 4, 2005, Mike Gibbins died in his sleep at his home in Florida from from a brain aneurysm. Joey Molland continues to tour and record.